Saturday, February 04, 2006

It's All in the Details












This week I spent a morning in postal hell. I work during evening classes on Tuesdays so I usually make a long list of things-to-do for my morning and then end up snoozing 17 or 19 times until I finally drag myself out from under the comforter for some eggs and email before work. Tuesday morning however, I woke at 7.30 a.m. to pack up and arrive at the Atlantic Avenue USPS as they unlocked their doors. I had a bag with about 10 pounds of mail including—my last three grad school applications, an application for a summer residency, 40 handmade invitations for my cousin's wedding in Poland, and a thank you gift for a recent weekend getaway.

I've spent approximately 6 hours of my life over the last month in post office lines waiting for that all-important postmark date stamp, and delivery confirmation slip on each and every application packet. Some days as I rushed to the line, I noticed others fingering through slide sheets and wrapping carousels ahead of me. Maybe there really is a large concentration of artists in Brooklyn, or maybe I'm shit out of luck because 10% of the entire population is applying to the same programs I aim for.

As I arrived upon opening on Tuesday there were somehow already five people in line ahead of me. I waited for ten minutes until one of the two postal worker's light went off. I approached her with a smile and then noticed a NO DEBIT CARDS AT THIS REGISTER hand scrawled sign. I was sent back to the line. On my second turn I asked for the postal worker to weigh my slide carousel so I could estimate postage for the return envelope. I requested delivery confirmation for all my applications. I hadn't filled out the international contents form ahead of time. I asked to see his selection of stamps for my pretty wedding invitations. He became less and less accommodating and began to slam the bullet-proof glass door on his side of the counter. Then he lost it and began screaming at me for "not being prepared for posting."

I talked back. It went something like this "I am prepared, it seems that you aren't willing to do your job, I have several things to mail but as far as I know that isn't a crime." He began mumbling something behind the bullet-proof plexi and promptly tossed my slide carousel which hit the edge of the big mail laundry cart and toppled in. This felt like seeing my baby thrown across the room and landing head first in a pile of sharp edges. Something switched in me and I asked to see his manager. The manager came out with his fly down and I began to explain the situation. His eyes glazed over and he mumbled something about his employee following instructions. A growing line of people stared at me watching as my face became red, hovering somewhere between anger and tears, as I sweat in January heat. It was humiliating. The icing on the Atlantic Avenue USPS cake was that their void of LOVE stamps or anything beyond some leftover Disney Christmas stamps for the wedding invitations. I re-wrapped my wedding invites in their tissue paper and huffed my way out to a subway.

I still had a few hours before work began so I decided to visit another post office in Chelsea in search of the LOVE stamps. After another half hour line I arrived to the window to find they had only American flag or Stop Family Violence stamps to offer. The Stop Family Violence stamps had a picture drawn by a child of a stick figure crying; I decided this would not be the best omen for the wedding invitations. The post man directed me to the mothership of all New York post offices at 42nd Street. On the subway I scowled to myself wondering if I would ever find the goddamn LOVE stamps and if anyone receiving the invitations would even notice. I often find myself at the bottom of an avalanche of life-altering details only to realize that it is my own tunnel vision and mild OCD that has put me there.

The 42nd Street post office was like a futuristic machine with 100 windows for service, automated post-machines, an enormous spread of stamp designs; yet only two people were working at the front of the wind-around line. I waited for another 45 minutes, salivating over the prize— yellow stamps with two blue birds nuzzling each other so that the negative space between their necks made a heart. After my arduous wait I bought the "True Blue" bird LOVE stamps, caressed them for a minute and then pasted each envelope with a stamp at the perfect right angle a few millimeters from the corners' edge. I posted each envelope in a big swinging mailbox and left empty handed but satisfied.

My cousin's wedding is in one month in Poland, it will take a seven hour flight, navigating Polish roads in a rented car, purchasing another bridesmaid dress with money I don't have, and most likely having my hair formed to an unbecoming shape with a bottle of hairspray. All this seems par for the course, but the True Blue stamp expedition— if that is not LOVE then I don't know what is.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

post office (or any other retail outlet) apathy leaves me with the distinct desire to open fire on people. i guess that's just my maternal instinct.

1:50 PM  
Blogger kaymaria said...

When I lived in that neighborhood we were having trouble getting our mail. The mailman told my roommate, "People that complain about their mail don't GET their mail." It's like a Postal Mafia!

But what do I know, I used Carnivorous Plants stamps on my wedding invites because I thought they were GORGEOUS (and still do).
http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/browse_content/pressRelease.jsp?CURSOR=105

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for future reference: http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/home.jsp

They usually deliver in 24 hours.

10:11 AM  
Blogger raul said...

hey wait... didn't read the other comments before posting. ok I suck.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Caterina said...

Glad to hear that I am not the only human being willing to travel for the right stamp.
I am now a regular user :)

2:06 PM  
Blogger DeeDee said...

IM DYING TO SEE YOUR HOMEMADE WEDDING INVITES....Please share!

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too had to settle for the bluebirds of happiness for my wedding invites... they haven;t come out with "love" stamps at the new 39-cent postage rate... it was either the birds, or animals from children's books (which are pretty cool, but I didn't want people to think it was going to be a swhotgun wedding)

--good luck with the wedding! BTW, this blog was mentioned on Gawker today, which is how I found you

2:48 PM  
Blogger Eliot said...

Congratulations on your wedding!

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With your marriage having a 50/50 chance of ending in divorce anyway this seems like a lot of bother.

Anyway, thanks for setting back the feminist movement another 50 years with this public essay of your psycho bride behavior!

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Pinkpelvis!! I think it's great that you took such care in choosing a stamp for your cousin's invites -- it's so thoughtful, and I'm sure your cousin would appreciate it. I'll be mailing my own invitations in a few months, so thanks for reminding me of the potential nightmare of the USPS. It should be privatized.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I love the idiocy of the above "anonymous" comment from an individual who clearly didn't read my entry. I'm also unsure of what shopping for aesthetically pleasing stamps has to do with the feminist movement. Regardless, the flurry of activity thanks to Gawker's inaccurate link to my blog under the canopy of bridezillas has been a new experience for pinkpelvis. Stand by for a thorough response tomorrow.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Trix said...

I thought the same thing of "anonymous", imagine bothering to comment on something you clearly didn't read. As you say Pinky, it's all in the details!

For the record, the Pelvis is wonderful AND available... although she will be away in a few weeks for her cousin's wedding in Poland.

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time your cousin gets married, try making custom stamps with the bride & groom's picture on them -

http://www.zazzle.com/stamps/

People LOVE them!

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the bride speaking. Yup thats right, the crazy cousin bride setting back feminism everywhere. I didnt even care about the stupid stamps, but sweet god am I lucky to have a brides maid and a cousin who cared enough to take precious time out of her very busy life to try to make mine a little brighter?? You bet. And I might have a 50/50 chance, but hey, you can either take a chance and live life, or just sit at home and find strangers' blogs to criticize. I love you despirately my cousin; my good friend!!

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better us FedEx or UPS.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free website hit counter