Wednesday, February 16, 2005

nicknames and affiliations

Having decided to dip into the blog community, I asked a friend this morning if she thought I had outgrown my alter-identity, pinkpelvis. She replied that in fact, she felt pinkpelvis had grown with me. Perhaps it helps that she was present for the birth of my favorite invented alliteration.

Really the story is more common than titillating but I'll give a brief synopsis just to clear the air--During my visual art thesis in college I spent over a year drawing pelvises. A standard art student, not yet bored by Barbara Kruger or Jenny Holzer, and where else to turn, feeling that life experience is limiting the medium, but gender identity? And well, beyond that pink is for girls. The space is shaped like a heart, we all came from it, a lot of us want to get back there, so maybe there is much to discuss.

I still find myself doodling pelvis outlines now and then but beyond that I've given up the region most recently drawing figures from adolescent "cliff-jumping" websites; when I'm not refilling ink bottles at my lab tech job or changing the diapers of toddler clients in Park Slope (where babies really come from).

1 Comments:

Blogger E. Nigma said...

My nickname is "PeeJay" for "Pete Jr." Why my father decided to make my nickname longer than my real name is a mystery. I suppose it's better than shortening my name to "Puh."

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free website hit counter